Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Por fin, la familia!!


Two days ago (Lunes), my family finally came back from their wedding in Italy!! And the second that I walked in the door, the 13-year old daughter ran up, greeted me, gave me a huge hug and a kiss, and then ran away as fast as she came. This sets the tone exactly for how it is in the house. My host parents, especially the mother, are the most overly-caring, sweet, outgoing, and adorable people in the world. I can't even get a word in with how much they tell me I should do whatever I want. It's such a placer to finally have a permanently smiling face and caring person to cuidarme. Everything I need, they help me with.

They speak a little english, so every once in a while, I'll hear a word that doesn't fit in the conversation and I realize that they've translated a word or two into english (that I can't understand). It's so endearing and actually helpful at times. Also, my host father and Patricia (the younger daughter) often correct my grammar, which is very helpful. Finally the house is alive and I want to spend all of my time in the kitchen talking with everyone.

Even today, I helped Patricia with her multiplication tables, although at times she talked so fast and said the numbers so fast that I was more confused than she was. Every day my spanish is getting better and better.

We also started Orientation at the University. We took our spanish placement exam (1.5 hours), and then today we had our oral exams. I think they went very well. There are tons of Americans in our program (which is designed for foreign students), many from California. It's very interesting to see the dynamic between all of the separate groups. To be perfectly honest, I don't want to meet americans; I want to meet spaniards.

The struggle these days is trying to find the most efficient way to commute to school. I have a few possibilities: Walk +Bus + Walk + Bus = School, Metro + Bus = School, Bus + Train + Walk = School, Metro + Metro + Train + Walk = School.... the list goes on and on. It's pretty inefficient, and I'm sure that this will be the one aspect of the program that I won't enjoy (aside from the overabundance of Americans).

Every day, I get to school beaming about something my mother said, or how nice it is at home. I sleep well, I eat well, I siesta. Right now I just want classes to start so I can start meeting new people. Our group has divided, and it's disconcerting at times. Some people just aren't madura.

I have so much to do: buy notebooks, confirm what classes I'll be taking, write in this blog, sleep, find my way around Madrid, find cool places to go out, meet people, find the most effective ruta to school, chat with my host family, keep cool in the humidity, learn new vocabulary, etc etc etc. I'm getting tired just thinking about it. Until then!

No comments: